shell (cell phone rant)

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Mon Jan 18 15:48:42 EST 2010

To be fair, Skype's bandwidth (audio wise) sounds a lot better than 3k.
That's a value like the horrible cellphone audio bandwidth (which is far
worse than POTS). Skype is  MUCH better sounding than either.
Most of the communication companies don't give a hoot about clarity or
quality of the conversation as long as it gets there and people put up with
it. The state of telephone communications audio is at an all-time low. How
many times have you had to say "WHat?" when using a cellphone?  This just
didn't happen with the old wired phones nearly as much. I hate the frickin'
cellphone and use it every day. It's probably slowly killing me.

The wired phones would NEVER drop a call, the biggest insult of all. Usually
it's not a signal strength issue at all; most of the time users get randomly
booted and cut off because the bandwidth narrows from the traffic load.
Stephen Barncard
San Francisco
http://houseofcubes.com/disco.irev