Rev on kde

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 18 12:18:43 EST 2010

Malte wrote:
> When testing a rather complex app (50 Stacks, huge amounts of XML data being processed)
> under Kubuntu on a very decent machine (actually I got a bit jealous of what is under the hood
> there):
>
> Performance is rather slow. Especially screen refreshes. Drag and Drop is
> not working very well (if at all). Everything that uses inks, slows down performance
> terribly. This is with engine 3.x and up
>
> Scrollbars (progress bars) are not rendered correctly. Only tested with 3.5
>
> Everything is a little better when using Ubuntu without a k, however performance
> is far from what I am used to under MacOs or Win.
>
> I am not complaining. I understand it is a tremendous task to support an Os the
> end user has as much control about as all the Oses they call "Linux" are. You can make
> it be a tame penguin, or a 7 headed Hydra (it lost 2 heads, when it tried to install its
> graphics card), with lions teeth (one of them carious, but sharp anyways), bears claws
> and penguin feet.
>
> Just wanted to share what I have seen.

Good info.  I'm assuming this is logged in the RQCC?

I appreciate the business case behind RunRev's priorities placing Win
and Mac support above Linux, but I also think that for the long term
investment in Linux is a good bet.

There are many challenges in seeing Linux adoption on the desktop
approach the lofty goal of 10%, but none of them are technical.  From an
engineering standpoint the OS is a darn fine one; the only issues
inhibiting adoption are usability and evangelism, which can be worked
out in reasonable time.

While 10% may seem unrealistic to some right now, I think in the five-
to ten-year time frame that may actually be low. It's a rock-solid
contender available at the unbeatable price of free.  What's not to love?

I just hope its adoption grows fast enough to push RunRev Ltd. toward
more investment sooner rather than later.  Ubuntu Linux is my
second-favorite OS ever, and their Netbook Remix Edition has been a
beautiful enhancement to my EeePC. :)

Even in the here-and-now, there may be opportunities where Linux is
disproportionately represented among groups who could make better use of
a tool like Rev than most, such as education.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World