BSD and HP9K700 standalones . . . ?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 18 10:37:07 EST 2010

Richmond wrote:
 > RunRev's 'abandonment' of less popular platforms may have little
 > to do with business as such, and more to do with the changing
 > dynamic of siingle person to "team".

With all due respect, this describes the relationship between a
company's size and its mission in terms that are exactly backwards.

Moreover, the premise that MetaCard Corp. was a one-man show is
incorrect. AFAIK even during most of its Unix-only years he had at least
one employee to help run things.  But once he started the port to
Windows he used contractors regularly, and when he ported to Mac he
expanded that contractor pool.  From my discussions with him it seemed
his team size varied between three and five people much of the time
since I started working with the engine in '97.

But it's also very much the case that the missions of MetaCard Corp. and
RunRev Ltd. are quite different:

MC sold for $995, with upgrades at $485.  Period.  There was only one
version available, and that was its price.

This pricing helped keep support costs down, acting as a sort of filter
which pretty much eliminated all but professional developers from his
customer base.

Dr. Raney's model was based on high margins over high unit sales, and
although he did rather well with site licenses to some rather large
companies, there was a limit to the potential for unit sales growth at
that price point.

That worked well enough for him, but Kevin Miller saw a different
opportunity and formed RunRev Ltd. to answer this question:  Can we take
this engine to the masses?

The myriad ways this different mission shapes day-to-day operations in a
company cannot be overstated.

With price points ranging from half of what MC Corp. asked down to zero,
RunRev Ltd. must do things very differently than MC did.

On the marketing side, MC Corp. could afford to pretty much coast on
word-of-mouth, since the audience he was aiming at was much smaller and
a much more specific target to hit.  RunRev, on the other hand, has to
appeal to orders of magnitude more people to make the same level of
operational profit.  Those of you who run your own businesses appreciate
that effective marketing requires resources, not always cash but always
a fair bit of time, and that means people.

On the technical side, as Stephen noted the engine was much simpler back
when Raney managed it.  For example, all OS appearances were emulated,
and he began moving beyond appearance emulation only for OS X by the
time he sold the company, while RunRev has moved it forward to adopt OS
appearances across the board.  If they did their job well this may seem
a simple thing, but what it does to the complexity of the underlying
object structures is not trivial, and it's only one modest example of
the things they've added, along with modern buffering, antialiasing, and
a few hundred other features and fixes that are very difficult (read
"costly") to implement across three platforms.

The dynamics of these differences are described well in Geoff Moore's
book "Crossing the Chasm" (a must-read, IMO, for any tech business
owner), and Raney once wrote to me that his model would never have taken
the engine across that chasm between tech-savvy "early adopters" to the
masses.

Consider this:  how much smaller would the membership of this use-rev
list be if the price point had been maintained at $995?

Sure, MC's trial method was limited by number of script lines rather
than by time as Rev's is (and before the advent of RevMedia as a free
product I used to feel that Raney's model was a better one for a product
as complex as Rev), but how much work can one do in 10 lines?

Some especially clever folks got along quite well with the 10-line limit
in the MC trial version, but such savvy folks are relatively few.

RunRev can reach far more people by giving away the whole engine in
RevMedia, and newcomers experimenting with it don't need to be nearly as
clever as they used to with MC in working around the 10-line limit;
RevMedia lets newcomers built a great many very useful things at a
fraction of the effort MC used to require.

But all of this takes a lot of time to deliver, more time than just
three people will have.  It takes a team about the size of what RunRev
has now; heck, they might do even better with more, but the constant
business challenge of profitability requires them to use their human
resources very carefully.

In the early days of RunRev I had no shortage of opinions about how they
might refine their operations to better support their model.  But in
recent years, esp. with v3.0 forward, I now have no shortage of opinions
about how well they're doing toward that end.

They've come a long way, and have delivered a great many features which
serve my customers and clients well, all for a tiny sliver of what it
would take me to get those on my own.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World