Rev on kde

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:49:59 EST 2010

<The question is if it will work with kde?

Well, that is a question!

However I have now found a way that works on current 'nix systems and
should not
really get its knickers in too much of a twist re window-managers:

1. Install a licensed version of RunRev (3, 3.5, 4) Studio/Enterprize on
a Linux distro
      [well, it works on Ubuntu 8-9 on my 'mixed system' of bits of KDE
wrapped up with GNOME]

2. Set up Metacard 4 via J. Landman Gay's stack on RevOnline (this should
     automatically license itself from your RR 4.

3. Download whatever engines you need from Mark Talluto's web-mirror
(see earlier
     posting by him)

4. Use Metacard to build standalones for whatever flavour of 'nix you
are working with

5. Pop your standalone on the target computer.

ALWAYS being aware that all the 'sexy' stuff that came after RunRev 2 is
just not going to
work.

<Or rather lets put it like this, Run Rev should put back the capabilities
<for BSD (and kde).

I tell you what: find oodles of money from somewhere to pay RunRev to hire
a computer whizz who can devote his/her time to building new engines for
systems
that they feel are uneconomic to continue to support and I'm sure they will
oblige . . .

That modal verb 'should' could get somebody's hackles up.

Let's try a rewrite . . .  :)

"It would be a jolly nice thing if RunRev COULD put back the
capabilities for BSD."

Aaaaah, a lot better.

On my website:

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/dwriter.html

I have written;

"I am currently working on a longer-term, more extensive upgrade which I
hope to release in the latter half of January."

and it won't be ready until, at the soonest, mid-February. Whether this
will be FREE like previous
releases or a pay upgrade I haven't decided.

Now as I am an unreliable chap at least in terms of claims I make about
the next release of Devawriter
(so many variables I have lost count of them; not least being that our
older cat has run away)
I don't suppose we should take any of Runtime Revolution's "promises",
"proposals", "route plans"
and so on, as completely reliable either. And, as somebody once said;
"Always strive for 40%, then you
will not be disappointed when you achieve 75&; if you always strive for
100% you will always go
around with a bad taste in your mouth."