BSD and HP9K700 standalones . . . ?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jan 17 13:12:35 EST 2010

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Personally, I'm extremely 'turned on' by this bit:
>
> "Nine popular UNIX/X11 platforms are also supported: Solaris SPARC,
> Solaris x86, DEC Alpha, SGI IRIS, HP-9000/700, IBM RS/6000, SCO ODT, BSD
> UNIX, Linux Intel, and LinuxPPC."
>
> most of those options have become Boojums with RunRev; i.e. they have
> softly and silently
> vanished away.
>
> which is an awful shame

We need a show of hands of how many people actually would use those
platforms. Last count, almost zero, except for Linux -- which is the
variant the team chose to continue to support. The time and effort to
produce engines optimized for each 'nix variant can't be justified by
the tiny or non-existent number of people likely to use them. The 2.1
engines were made for MetaCard by Dr. Raney. There were almost no takers
for those platforms even back then, and now that Linux is the most
popular, there are virtually none. Personally I'm very happy that the
engineers are working on the engines that most people use.

> NOW . . . the big and burning question has to be . . . How many of the
> features implemented
> after RR 2.2.1 will function in builds made with 'Mortal Engines' ?

Anything implemented in later engines will of course fail in older ones.
I'm surprised you had to ask.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com