an interesting challenge

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 13 19:30:33 EST 2010

J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> It's easy for PHP code in the landing download page to get the
>> information
>> that "Bob sent them" with a $GET. But how on earth will the Revolution
>> standalone know about Bob?
>
> One thought: PHP gets the info and sends it to the download server via a
> POST action to a CGI on the download server. The download server's CGI
> parses the parameters and writes the info to a file or database. When
> the standalone launches on a user's machine, it does a "get URL" of the
> CGI on the download server, which looks up the data and returns it.

I left out something. You need some kind of identifying info so that you
know who to look up. So unless you require a registration, where they
enter their name on both the server and into your standalone, this
method won't work. :(

Do you really need to tie each copy to a specific user? Maybe just
knowing that Bob referred 10 people and another server referred 40 is
enough?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com