an interesting challenge

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jan 13 19:25:21 EST 2010

Derek wrote:
> I am very sorry, apparently this list does not like HTML emails, so I now see
> my first email was blank! Glad to see that it nevertheless sparked the
> creativity of the group!

Well, I for one am sorry you've disrupted our fun. Hmph. :)

> I have a standalone that a user downloads by clicking a button on a download
> web page. My conundrum is, I would like the standalone to know from what
> website the user originated when they clicked a link to jump to the download
> page.
>
> For example, let's say http://bob.com has a link that says "Go download this
> thing now!", and the link on Bob's web page is something like:
> http://thedownloadsite.com/downloadpage.html?referrer=bob
>
> It's easy for PHP code in the landing download page to get the information
> that "Bob sent them" with a $GET. But how on earth will the Revolution
> standalone know about Bob?

One thought: PHP gets the info and sends it to the download server via a
POST action to a CGI on the download server. The download server's CGI
parses the parameters and writes the info to a file or database. When
the standalone launches on a user's machine, it does a "get URL" of the
CGI on the download server, which looks up the data and returns it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com