Windows system recovery

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Jan 12 11:59:21 EST 2010

Devin-

Tuesday, January 12, 2010, 8:38:03 AM, you wrote:

> Windows right now because my Windows test machine died. Can anyone

Seems to be a lot of that going around lately.
Here's my Best Windows Tip Ever from the writeup I sent to a friend
the other day:

Lars has written two excellent tools: ERUNT and NTREGOPT. I have them
both installed. ERUNT is the sort of thing you want to install and
then never have to think about again until your computer goes
belly-up. This is what the Windows "Last Good Configuration" boot-up
option is supposed to do, but never does...

> Wanna try attacking one of my problems, then?

Better than that. Lemme solve one before it happens:

I installed ERUNT a few months ago and then forgot about it. I had a
registry crash on my main Windows computer last weekend and I've been
hobbling along with a semi-working computer since then trying to piece
things back together again. If I had remembered that I had ERUNT
installed I could have saved myself days of work. Now I'm just stuck
with repairing the damage I did trying to do things myself.

It archives snapshots of your registry that you can then go back to
later on, does it in the background, lets you restore the system
and/or user registries separately, and seems to work with all NT-based
Windows systems including Win7. I'm installing this onto every
computer I see.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net