Simplistic use of data grids

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon Jan 11 11:06:53 EST 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 5:05 AM, Beynon, Rob wrote:

> I think I understand a bit about datagrids, but what I'd really like
> is the ability to use it as a device to allow entry of data in
> column,row format, for further processing, purely during that
> instance of the data.

Hi Rob,

See response below.

> 1. User enters data, completing all cells in each row - this will be
> checked for in program
> 2. User processes data via a simple button, such that...
> 3. Program performs analysis of tabulated data in datagrid
> 4. Data is volatile, and is lost when program quits

If you don't want to permanently store data in the Data Grid you can
uncheck the "persistent data" checkbox in the General Property Pane
for a Data Grid or you can set the property directly:

set the dgProps["persistent data"] of group "DataGrid" to false

> The reason why I like the datagrid is because it does things like
> headers and automatic sorts very easily.
>
> However, if I create an empty datagrid, it seems as though it is not
> possible to manually enter data. I suspect I am doing something
> wrong with the properties (I select editable though).

A Data Grid allows users to edit existing information if it the Data
Grid is editable. You can add records using script. This might be done
with a "+" button somewhere in your UI. Here is a lesson that shows how.

How Do I Add A Row Of Data To An Existing Data Grid?: <http://lessons.runrev.com/spaces/lessons/manuals/datagrid/lessons/7314-How-Do-I-Add-A-Row-Of-Data-To-An-Existing-Data-Grid-

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems