valentina, externals of libdatabase

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 15:23:09 EST 2010

I recently decided to take a fresh look at Valentina.  As the licensed
copy I had was quite old, I upgraded to 4.3

On Vista with RevEnt 4.0, I decided the easiest way to learn more
about Valentina was using Trevor's LibDatabase library.  (I know that
it's kind of 'old hat' compared to SQL Yoga, but LibDatabase appeals
to me).

I'm kind of confused about how externals are supposed to be registered
these days.  I ran the Valentina installer, and it made no changes to
the Revolution program directories (i.e. it did not add itself to the
list of externals in the Externals text file, nor add the drivers to
the folder containing database drivers).

I got the example stack provided by Paradigma to work by adding the
V4Rev.dll file to the external references of the Examples main stack.

When it comes to making use of LibDatabase, the only way I could get
it to work was by adding V4Rev.dll to the externals of the library).
I was getting an error at at the point where LibDatabase calls
Valentina_Init.  It seems to me that the main stack of an application
should be where the externals are set, not in a library stack.  I am
sure that if LibDatabase required a reference to any relevant
externals, Trevor would have said so (he's a thorough kinda guy).

Also, does anyone know how to get an error string back from Valentina?

Bernard