on deleteGroup

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Jan 7 11:06:37 EST 2010

On Jan 7, 2010, at 10:47 AM, Devin Asay wrote:

> Sorry, David, I didn't read your original message closely enough.
> What if the parent group has a deleteGroup handler that passes the
> message on? Maybe the parent group is just swallowing group-related
> messages from child groups.
>
> What does the Message Watcher say? If no deleteGroup is generated by
> nested groups it seems like a bug to me.

Devin,

I think the issue David is trying to address is that no deleteGroup is
sent to children groups if the parent is deleted (which should
probably be considered a bug anyway). Assume you have this group
hierarchy:

Group A
     Group B
     Group C

If you delete Group B then Group B receives the deleteGroup message as
does Group A (unless Group B traps the message).

If you delete Group A then Group B and Group C DO NOT receive the
deleteGroup message. Only Group A does.

Currently a developer needs to to manually go through a group's
children and dispatch the deleteGroup message to it's children if it
was the target of the deleteGroup message.

Regards,

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems