Oracle buyout of Sun and it's affects on mySQL

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Mon Jan 4 16:03:03 EST 2010

On 1/4/10 10:53 PM, "Bob Sneidar" <bobs at twft.com> wrote:

> oic. I am wondering then how this is going to impact On-Rev, which offers
> mySQL support? I intended to write a multiuser application and host it on my
> On-Rev site, but I am wondering now if Runrev is going to be forced to charge
> users an extra fee to continue to host MySQL if Oracle ever decides to up the
> ante, so to speak, or even discontinue mySQL to force people to adopt Oracle.
>
> Having a certain department here who purchased Solaris and Oracle long ago for
> their server(s) and databases, I can testify that these are VERY PRICEY
> options, and are overkill for almost all but the high end database needs.
>
> "Monty" seems to have a good point, in that he thinks Oracle is not going to
> compete against itself by continuing the licensing scheme of mySQL, if it is
> considerably less than using Oracle. Microsoft is famous for doing this sort
> of thing, that is buying out a competitor (or potential competitor),
> cannibalizing what code they need for their own product, then killing the
> thing they bought. I cite Foxpro (formerly Fox Software), and that
> anti-spyware that eventually became Microsoft Anti-spyware. If this is
> Oracle's intention for mySQL, I would at least like to know now.

If Monty so worried about mySQL, why he have sale it?
Right?

Yes Bob, although everybody around (even Lynn) say, Oracle need Java,
I say: Oracle want kill mySQL from moment when mySQL team becomes so
aggressive to start publish in magazines benches and other things which did
show that mySQL can replace Oracle in corporations.

Yes, Oracle uses Java. But primary source of profit for Oracle is what?
Right - DBMS.

MySQL is enemy for Oracle.
This is clear as a day. :)

--