Error while generating a Linux standalone

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 07:08:21 EST 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:

> Andre Rombauts wrote:
>
>> anybody else tells me it is a BIG MISTAKE spinning off standalones
>>> for any
>>> platform from a platform other than the target one.
>>>

>> It is one of RunRev assets to produce easily multi-platforms
>> applications.
>> Testing on each, might not be a problem but why should I generated on
>> an another platform?
>> If this is an issue why is it offered as a feature in Runrev?...
>>

> I can't speak highly enough of the benefits of testing and tweaking on each
> of the platforms one develops for, but as far as the mechanics of building
> standalones I've had good success for many years building for OS X, Win, and
> Linux from my Mac.

I, certainly, have had great success spinning off Windows standalones from
RR 4.
I find Linux standalones are not always reliable.

However, working with earlier versions of RR I have had nothing but grief
spinning off
both Windows and Linux standalones.

The last sentence should be taken in the context that before I acquired RR 4
I used
RR 2.0.1 to spin off standalones; and there has been an awful lot of water
under the
bridge between RR 2 and RR 4. I still use the FREE version of RR 2.2.1 for
Linux
(spins off standalones for Linux only) that was given out by Novell quite a
few years
ago because the machines I run in my language school run on Ubuntu 5.10, and
RR 4 studio for Linux does not work on that system, nor do standalones
generated
by RR 4 studio for Linux on a machine running a later form of Ubuntu.

As setting up a functioning Linux system cost me about $25 and a couple of
hours
work that seems a small trade-off for guaranteeing my Linux standalones
behave the
way they should.

I have a similar system (headless) running Windows XP Home (OEM XP cost me
$25)
in Bulgaria (I am still in England at the moment), and it really is the best
way of
ensuring that things go exactly as they should. I previously used VPC with
Windows,
but it was grindingly slow.

This also allows you to see what the thing looks like running on your target
system.
I feel that developing and hiving off standalones on one system for another
without
access to that target system is a bit like fumbling around in a dark room
looking for
the light switch; I usually end up either falling over a chair or sticking
my fingers into
something that hurts.

If you have a new INTEL Mac you can spend your money on one of the 'things'
that
will allow you to run Windows and Linux on your Mac; the end-result is much
the same.

>  Win standalones run without alteration, and the Linux builds run as soon
> as I set their executable bit within Linux.

This is an extremely important point - setting the executable property of a
Linux
standalone - unless you expect the end-user to do this for herself you HAVE
to have
access to a Linux system.

>  The build process itself has always been flawless here (with the only
> exceptions being "user error", things I may have forgotten to include or set
> up properly, easily remedied).

The only problem about statements such as "The build process itself has
always been flawless here" is that 'here' is not 'there', and all you need
is one end-user to make a big
noise and your reputation gets dragged through the mud.

Unless you live and work in a 3-foot square box with no space there is
really no reason
not to have a few test machines to hand. I work in a 3-foot by 6-foot
'office' and still
manage to have 4 machines packed in there as well as bags of room for a
record-player
and coffee cups. Needless to say, I come out of the office to live; but,
hey, let's face
it, if spending one's time hunched over a computer constitutes living we are
all in line
for padded cells and straitjackets down at the funny farm. . .  :)