Imagesource of char not working as expected in Windows

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 1 07:00:12 EST 2010

Firstly, Happy New Year.

It has started well for me because with the help of the list I have solved the above.  Last problem of 2009, and first solution of 2010!

I tried pretty much all the suggestions.  (I skipped the suggestion of saving to the standalone folder, because the Windows virtualisation dragon would eat the data.)

I relabelled the path to avoid non vanilla characters...

I rescripted to save by changing the defaultfolder.

In fact, I rescripted several times to use different methods.  All worked in OS X, and none worked in Windows.

As far as I can make out, the problem is something to do with representing the path as a variable.  If the path was in quotes, it worked OK both as a script and in the message box.  If defined as a variable, it didn't work.  The solution was simply to refer directly to the line in the field containing the full path.  So,

 set the imageSource of last char of fld "ResultsT" to "binfile:" & the last line of field "snapshots"

worked, but ......

put the last line of field "snapshots" into k
set the imageSource of last char of fld "ResultsT" to "binfile:" & k

...... didn't.

The only thing I could think of is that on Win a character in the URL which is benign on the Mac is interpreted as part of the address, but only when copied into a variable, not when read directly from the field.  Anyhoo.  Fixed now.

Now to get going with ScreenSteps, and make a manual.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

David Glasgow