Ideas to simulate a multithreaded sockets server

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 09:04:50 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Marcio Alexandroni
<marcio at cialogica.com.br> wrote:
> I've been reading about Rev and CGI, but I read on rev Forums that the
> necessary standalone engine necessary for the cgi-bin support is available
> only on Rev <= 3.5, the new versions do not have the standalone engine
> anymore. Do you know if it's true?

Yes this is true.  It is a great pity and I do not find the reasons
for this move entirely convincing. If you are a licensed user, it
might be possible to get the 3.5 engine from Runrev (actually, I think
you just need the RevStudio 3.5 for your platform,and I think the
standalone engine is bundled comes in there).

There is supposed to be a rev-server released.  I had thought it was
going to be an apache module to get beyond the problem of any delays
with a fork from CGI.  However, no information has been forthcoming,
and it seems no one outside RunRev knows what was offered and what
will actually be delivered, or when.

I seem to remember that within on-rev it is not possible to open
sockets.  I think there was a talk at the Rev2009 conference by BvG
who developed the Rev chat server.  I am not so interested in on-rev,
so I didn't pay that much attention, but I thought he said that
sockets could not be opened with on-rev, and that was the reason why
he switch to a HTTP based protocol.  I'm sure someone else will
comment on this soon if I'm mistaken.

BTW you still did not mention if you are using sockets and "with
message".  Unless there is some reason why that will not work, your
concerns about threading may prove unnecessary.

Bernard