Here's a concrete example of the linux font problem

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 14:34:09 EST 2010

I'm not sure we have a real definition of the problem.  It seems that on
Debian based installs, some ways of installing fonts lead to Rev not being
able to see them.   But what difference is there between a font installed as
part of the  distribution, and one installed afterwords?  Also, why is it
that on Mandriva, this does not seem to be an issue?

The thing I cannot get my head around is why Rev is the only package that
can't see all the installed fonts, and only the installed fonts.   And where
are the extra fonts Rev seems to be able to see coming from?  This is a
powerful argument that it is something Rev is doing.  In the same way, Rev
seems to be the only package that cannot handle multiple desktops in the
standard way, again an argument to suggest that its something Rev is doing
differently.

We need help from a Rev guru.  I'm very happy to help with any testing that
he or she might want us to do, but I'd really like to see the effort
directed by someone in Rev development.  We would have a better chance of
getting to the bottom of it quickly.

Peter