Stack working in MACOS, not in Windows.

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Mon Feb 22 07:21:39 EST 2010

stephen barncard wrote:

> SUCCESS. Found it. *Thank you Jacque, Jim, Mark, **Björnke, Peter* for
> all
> your suggestions and I tried them all.
>
> here's the "fix"
>
> put the tempname & ".mp3" into tPath
>

> It wasn't really my code, exactly.... er...  it was more of a Win-Mac
> assumption about MP3 files.
>
> My client wanted major obfuscation of the funny business we're doing
> with
> the decryption and playing - and wanted to not only have a temp type
> file
> name, but no suffix. It worked in mac.
>
> But Windows media player really wants to see that suffix.

What you are saying here is not exactly so. Windows Media Player (wmplayer.exe) would "like" to see the file extension but does not require it. This is so of many, if not most PC programs (like Rev on PC does not require the .rev extension to know that a file is a stack and to open the stack. A stack can have any extension or no extension.). What "needs" to see the extension is the OS.

The OS uses the extension of a file to know what to open the file with (which program the file extension is associated with). In the case of no extension, or an "unknown" extension, the user "could" be prompted to indicate what program to use, or in the case of say a shell, nothing could happen and the file is simply not opened (in your case played).

What you can do, is instead of just trying to call the file, call the player and pass the music file as a command line parameter as in: *wmplayer c:\theDirectoryTheMusicIsIn\theMusicFile* (with or without the extension).

Now at this point, wmplayer, depending on how it is configured, could open a dialog saying it doesn't recognize the extension, does the user want to attempt to play the file anyway? Or it could just play it. Again, this depends on the configuration of the wmplayer on that machine.

Also, you need to be aware that extensions can be "switched" which means that the OS can be configured to open .mp3 files with a player other than wmplayer. This is another reason, if you are depending on a specific player to launch, to launch the player with a command line parameter rather than just launching the file.

As to playing from memory, I believe wmplayer only works with files.

Aloha,

Jim Bufalini