Here's a concrete example of the linux font problem

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 05:23:31 EST 2010

That makes it looks like Rev is getting the names of the font *files*
while OO is getting the *display names* of the fonts, as ITC is the
International Typeface Corporation, one of the bigger companies that
make fonts.

If you see a font like Garamond listed on a computer, it's *probably*
ITC Garamond but could be Adobe Garamond, or any one of a whole bunch
of other (very slightly different looking) versions of Garamond. Go to
a site like identifont or myfonts and you'll be scared by how many
variations of a single font turn up when you type in a font name...

You'll probably find that ITC Avatgarde is probably listed as
Avantgarde by OO etc.

The positive side is that the way Rev is handling the fonts is that
you know *which* version of the font is being used. The bad side is
that anyone who cares which version is being used is probably using
font management software on a Mac for DTP so it's irrelevant for
Linux,  and that Rev is doing things differently than all the other
apps on Linux. :-(

Ian