Here's a concrete example of the linux font problem

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 22 04:57:05 EST 2010

Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote:

> Frankly, it looks as if the situation with fonts on Linux is in need of
> some connsiderable sorting out - after all, it is not JUST RunRev that is
> having trouble
> finding all the fonts.

Yes, this is true, it is not completely satisfactory.  That said however,
Rev as the examples show, is doing something very odd.  Its interesting that
Richmond and I are installing the fonts in different ways, but with the same
results.  I am not copying into /etc/fonts, but am installing in the case of
one-offs by using either the KDE or Gnome font managers.  Or in the case of
doing a lot at once, I mostly use the antique but convenient spadmin.
Whichever, all the other apps but Rev find the installed fonts with no
problem.

Peter