revlet newbie questions

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:46:30 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 3:27 AM, Chris Sheffield <cmsheffield at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I'm just now playing with revlets, and was hoping to be able to convert an existing desktop app to a revlet, just as kind of a proof of concept thing. So far I'm striking out. Running on a Mac, OS X 10.6.2, it's totally locking up Firefox and, while Safari doesn't lock up, the revlet doesn't load properly. I just get a blank screen.
>
> This is a fairly complex desktop app, basically a front end to a mysql database, so I'm sure there is simply code in there that will not run in a revlet. So I'm wondering, is there a good, single source out there somewhere that lists what works and what doesn't work in a revlet? Things to avoid in revlets? One thing I discovered is that the "go stack" command is supported in a revlet, but I can't seem to make it work unless I use the "go stack in window" form. Is that the only way to do it?
>
> This app consists of several stack files, not substacks of one main stack, but rather several main stack files that are opened and closed depending on what the user is doing. Is that a problem in a revlet? Is it necessary to build each stack file into a revlet, or can they remain in their regular stack file and still be loaded using "go stack" from the first stack, which would be built as a revlet?

This would concern me. Can you check that the extra stack files are
actually compiled into the revlet. Could the lock up be happening when
an external stack file should be loading?

At the moment, you can only open a new stack in the same window,
unless you make multiple revlets in which case they can open in the
same browser window so long as you set the instance IDs to the same
number. There is an example on the revWeb site on how to do this.

Cheers,
Sarah