relative position of a target within a group

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Feb 19 17:57:28 EST 2010

Recently, Mark Swindell wrote:

> How does one get the relative position of a button within a group of buttons?
>
> I want to
>
> put the (relative to group myGroup) number of the target into vMyVar
>
> One can say
>
> select button 3 of group myGroup
>
> without problem.
>
> But how would one best do this using the target function?

Here's one way:

on mouseUp
   put 0 into clickedButton
   repeat with N = 1 to number of btns of me
      if long id of the target = long id of btn N of me then
         put N into clickedButton
         exit repeat
      end if
   end repeat
   answer clickedButton
end mouseUp

Or a function:

on mouseUp
   answer clickedButton(long id of the target,long id of owner of the
target)
end mouseUp

function clickedButton pTargetButton,pGroup
   repeat with N = 1 to number of btns of pGroup
      if pTargetButton = long id of btn N of pGroup then
         return N
      end if
   end repeat
   return 0