[OT]Re: Best Release Practices and the word "fortnight"

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Fri Feb 19 11:43:48 EST 2010

On Feb 18, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Luis <luis at anachreon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I was reading the list of ingredients on an English bottle of
>> ketchup we had
>> bought in Spain
>
> A free weeks subscription to the Rev Use List for anyone who knows the
> origin of the word ketchup without looking it up in the dictionary.

Well, the urban legend I've always heard is that Heinz wanted to
differentiate themselves from the competition, so invented an
alternate spelling of 'catsup'.

I also remember a tomato-y sauce in Indonesian restaurants in Holland
called 'ketjap' (I may be misremembering the spelling.)

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University