FYI: writing to and reading from fields much faster than locals, globals or custom properties

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 19:29:24 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Maybe that should be "Benchmark Obsessive". :)
>
> True, I was sleeping at 1AM PST, but when I got up this morning I found this
> intriguing enough to pull out one of my old test stacks.  In fact, while I
> was at it I took some notes for an article on benchmarking I've been itching
> to write and posted it to revJournal:

Hmmm, maybe 'Benchmark Obsessive Compulsive' ;-)

Using Richard's stack:

MBP 17" 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM
OS X.6.2, Rev 4.0.0 Build 950

Number of iterations for read/write access: 5000
LockScreen = true
LockMessages = true

Results:
Visible field, current card: 	24
Hidden field, current card: 	22
Visible field, unopened card: 	13
Hidden field, unopened card: 	14
Custom property: 	4
Global variable: 	2
Local variable: 	1

Number of iterations for read/write access: 5000
LockScreen = false
LockMessages = false

Results:
Visible field, current card: 	2367