FYI: writing to and reading from fields much faster than locals, globals or custom properties

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 14:14:47 EST 2010

It must be the first mistake you make when writing your first Rev program -
at least, it was mine.  On an old used donated celeron, I had written a
script that went through several thousands of lines and extracted sub totals
from tab delimited fields.  As the file increased in size, the computation
slowed down.  I was of course doing it in fields.  Finally when it was
starting to take minutes, I put in a button that said 'just look at the
report, don't redo it'!  The things we think of!

In the end, I discovered that you should sum the subtotals into variables
and then put the variables into the fields, and it became almost instant.

So this seems like a very easy thing to test, just generate 20k lines of
numbers and do some totals into fields and also alternatively into a
variable and then put into the same fields.  The difference in my experience
on a slow machine was, literally, a matter of minutes.