survey

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 04:40:21 EST 2010

On 18/02/2010 10:47, Bernard Devlin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 6:30 AM, Richmond Mathewson
> <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> And in France a fortnight is a "quinzaine"; I suppose the difference
>> between 14 and 15 is about the same as La Manche - divides them . . .  :)
>>
> This talk of fortnights reminds me of my partner explaining to me that
> in Thailand they have 2 o'clock four times in a day.  Whilst we divide
> the 24 hour day in to 2x12 hours, they divide it into 4x6 hours.  My
> belief is that they do not find everyday life challenging enough, and
> decided to spice it up with more ambiguity.  This also explains their
> addiction to chilli, so it is obviously a true explanation :-)  And it
> explains why they go in for a language with 40+ characters and 5
> tones.  Every attempt I make at pronouncing a word in Thai is greeted
> with furrowed brows or hilarity (and often in that order).  Oh yes,
> they also have a different system of numerals -- and chop and change
> between 'arabic' numbering and 'thai' numbering when it suits them.
>
> I have to confess, on my first trip to Thailand I did find myself
> incredulous that their calendar year really is 500 or so years ahead
> of GMT.  It's one thing to  (nominally) 'know' that other people run
> two calendars, but it was weird to actually be somewhere and see them
> using a different calendar on a daily basis.  It made me realise that
> throughout the world those other 'nominal' calendars are probably used
> as calendars to live by.  As if DST didn't cause enough problems in
> programming.

I have lived and worked for about 6 years in the Arabic world where
there is an on-going competition between both the Arabic numbers
(which are derived from Indian numbers) and European numbers
(which are derived from the system of numbering the Arabs used
before they adopted the Indian system), and the Christian and
Islamic calendars.  Of course in Palestine/Israel/illegally-occupied-Canaan
(hey, not funny at all, I know some Philistine Dagon-worshippers
who are really cheesed-off about some political axe they have to grind with
some member of the Israeli defence forces with very long hair) things
get even more confusing with the Mosaic calendar, the Islamic calendar
and the 2 western Chritsian calendars (Julian and Gregorian).