FYI: writing to and reading from fields much faster than locals, globals or custom properties

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Wed Feb 17 23:10:33 EST 2010

You all probably know this, but thought I would share our experience anyway:

We are working on a project with a 1 millisecond callback loop that communicates with an external process in a performance-critical application, and when prototyping, temporarily used some fields on a card to write and read values from during the loop.

Then, while buttoning things up, instead of fields, we switched to reading and writing a custom property.

Suddenly, everything went sluggish - you had to click on a button several times to trigger it, you could barely move stack windows, etc.

It took a while to figure out the culprit, but once we went line by line from our original prototype script, wee found that going back to reading and writing to a field made everything work smoothly again!

Then we tried local, then a global variable... not good... same result as custom properties.

So if you are writing an app where performance is critical, Rev reads and writes to fields super fast!