socket error 54?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 16 19:08:05 EST 2010

Alex Tweedly wrote:

>>> "Connection reset by peer".
>>>
>>> But does peer mean the server or your app?
>>> Is it a timeout thing?
>>
> It is the server. Can be a timeout, can be policy, can be timeout
> induced by rate-limiting, can be ... darn hard to figure out :-(
>> Thanks, Sarah.
>>
>> FWIW, I've found that I can upload the file to the same server without
>> difficulty at home, it's only here in the office that the connection
>> times out.
>>
>> I think it may be a router thang, but I've reviewed those settings and
>> I can't turn up anything that seems relevant.
>>
>> But oddly enough, I find that I can upload the same file to Dreamhost
>> without difficulty; it's only with Bluehost that I have this issue.
>
> btw - in my other email, I said it meant that you had received a RST
> packet; that's normally the cause, but that's not the *only* way it can
> happen.
>
> Does it happen every time ?
> At the same point in the file ?
> Are you using same machine in both locations ? Same App, OS, etc. ?

It does not appear to be the exact same point in the file; IIRC it
varies by a couple MBs.  I've tried it with Interarchy and a custom
Rev-based FTP client, with the same results:

At home, using cable: Bluehost succeeds, and Dreamhost succeeds
At the office, w/DSL: Bluehost fails, while Dreamhost succeeds

BH Tech Support tells me that they have no imposed limit on their end,
but given that I have no problem with DH I'm inclined to think there's
something funky with BH (well, something *else* funky, in addition to a
long-standing issue with server log configuration, but that's a whole
other story).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World