socket error 54?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Feb 16 17:38:30 EST 2010

Richard Gaskin wrote:

>>> What is error 54?
>>
>> "Connection reset by peer".
>>
>> But does peer mean the server or your app?
>> Is it a timeout thing?

It is the server. Can be a timeout, can be policy, can be timeout
induced by rate-limiting, can be ... darn hard to figure out :-(
> Thanks, Sarah.
>
> FWIW, I've found that I can upload the file to the same server without
> difficulty at home, it's only here in the office that the connection
> times out.
>
> I think it may be a router thang, but I've reviewed those settings and
> I can't turn up anything that seems relevant.
>
> But oddly enough, I find that I can upload the same file to Dreamhost
> without difficulty; it's only with Bluehost that I have this issue.
>
> :(

btw - in my other email, I said it meant that you had received a RST
packet; that's normally the cause, but that's not the *only* way it can
happen.

Does it happen every time ?
At the same point in the file ?
Are you using same machine in both locations ? Same App, OS, etc. ?