[OT] Making videos on a Mac

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon Feb 15 16:11:58 EST 2010

> It seems that whatever tool I use - QuickTime, Adobe Flash
> Video Encoder (CS3), IshowU, Flip4Mac - the ensuing video
> cannot be played universally on a PC, yet, if I get the same
> video, created on a Mac but converted to a .flv or a .wmv on
> a PC everyone seems to be able to play it.

Im starting to think that there's something intentional there on Apple's
part.

Many times Ive come across an embedded Quicktime .mov file on a web page and
have it crash out Firefox/Windows (with the latest Quicktime and Firefox
updates installed, too). Likewise, Ive had PDFs produced with Adobe
Acrobat/Windows that crash Preview on the Mac. One issue I have with QT on
Windows was being reported by users as far back as 2006 on the Apple Forums
- with no resolution ever posted.

The common feature between them is the ugly crash, rather than something a
little more graceful. I guess I should be thankful there isnt a "Microsoft
Visual C++ Runtime Error" to go along with it. I sometimes feel like the
collective computer users of the world are caught in a perpetual
push-me-pull-you battle between Adobe, Apple and Microsoft.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software