Win7 Apps don't launch - just nothing ?

Jim Bufalini jim at visitrieve.com
Wed Feb 10 05:58:02 EST 2010

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:

> only revzip and revxml
>
> My customer now told me, that the icon of my app has the blue-yellow
> "Win7
> admin shield" (don't know the correct name).
> I know that this has anything to do with permission / user rights, but
> don't know what exactly and why this only affects my Rev Apps and not
> all
> his other Apps.

OK, so given this, it's not that your Rev app is not launching on a
particular machine (which is why I started exploring externals). It's that
it is being blocked from running on a particular machine (big difference
;-). So a new line of questioning for you and your customer...

1. When he boots the machine does it go to a login screen or does Windows
just come up?

2. Does he have any third-party firewall installed (like Norton, McAfee,
AVG, etc.) or is he just using the default Windows firewall?

3. Is your app set to auto-launch on boot/login?

4. Where is this "shield?" Is it on the desktop or does it appear in the
System Tray when your app is launched?

5. What are the options if he right-clicks on the shield?

You might get him to install something like the free Microsoft SharedView on
his system, so you can take it over and see for yourself what is going on.
But, it is now sounding like not a Rev issue but a permissions/firewall
issue and your app is either blacklisted or requires admin privileges to
run.

Aloha from Hawaii,

Jim Bufalini