on-rev queries

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Feb 4 19:05:44 EST 2010

Hi Jim.

Thanks for the info. I'm always in the hunt for a good mySQL utility. The original post was really about what happens when on-rev drops the connection due to an idle timeout. What happens is, the communication between Revolution fails, but it takes close to 10 minutes for Revolution to stop beach balling. This may or may not be typical of all mySQL servers, but when I ran all this on a local mySQL server I did not have these timeout problems. I was alerted right away that the connection was bad.

My particular application merges and syncs two databases with each other, so it becomes important to create and drop tables automatically, as well as insert columns and such. So simply using a utility to do these things will not get me there.

My fix of always connecting at the beginning of every script that needs access, and disconnecting at the end of every script that made the connection works for now. It's probably better to do this anyway, as we have an online grading system at our K-12 school that requires persistent connections, and fails if anything glitches or burps on the network. I can never reset the routers or switches during school hours without incurring the wrath of school admins. :-)

Thanks.

Bob