Polygonflow: clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Jeff Massung massung at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:33:02 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Alex Tweedly <alex at tweedly.net> wrote:

> Jeff Massung wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> Sorry, but the problem you are running into is that (in your second
>> example)
>>

> The examples were from me (Alex) not Michael :-)

Lol, I noticed that just as I hit "send" ;-)

Yes. There are insane cases for which there may - in fact - be no correct
answer (especially if the polygon does intersect with each other... at which
point the debate begins on the definition of "polygon" beyond just being "an
n-sided object").

Neither of us can say what Michael's original use cases are/were, and
hopefully the cross-product solution works for him just fine.

The options I gave for concave polygons (assuming no intersections) do work
and are used in tessellation algorithms and elsewhere. There's no need to
complicate the solution w/o even knowing if the problem warrants it. ;-)

Jeff M.