Stack window/screen sizes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Dec 21 08:53:58 EST 2010

AndyP wrote:

> One way to counter this type of situation is to detect the screen resolution
> and then have a set of rules to resize and position your objects according
> to the resolution returned. To make life easy you can have these read in
> from a text file which allows for more configurations to added in the future
>
> It's a fair amout of extra work but I've found it worthwile. Keep in mind
> that there are lots of NoteBooks out there with screen resolutions of 1024 *
> 768px.

It may also be worth keeping netbooks in mind.

Sure, tablets have begun to cut into the growth of the netbook segment,
but netbooks are still seeing year-over-year growth and have remained
one of the strongest categories for the last three years.   I've
included some links to market stats in this blog entry about netbook
growth at LiveCode Journal:
<http://livecodejournal.com/blog.irv?pid=1273671983.138462>

As a result of this growth, several million people are running a screen
resolution of 1024x600.

So if you're making your UIs adjustable down to 1024x768, it's usually a
small thing to go just a few pixels smaller vertically to support
windows that resize down to 600 gracefully.

Most netbooks use Atom processors, and I gotta say I've been pleasantly
surprised at how well they perform for the ultra-low power consumption.
  I have Atom in both my netbook and a nettop I use here in the office
as a private cloud, and both machines do well running Ubuntu and even
OpenOffice much more smoothly than I would have anticipated from the
specs.  The Atom's hyperthreading helps; it's a nice processor.

So while netbooks may get overlooked in the current frenzy to explore
the tablet form factor, there's been such a rush on them in the last few
years that for many apps you'll have a good market available to you by
just taking a little time to make sure your windows can be reduced
another 168 pixels down.

And that provides you with an excuse to get another toy so you can test.
At <$300 for many good models, I found it too hard to resist. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation