Various newbie doubts about LiveCode

Pierre Sahores psahores at free.fr
Mon Dec 13 07:55:57 EST 2010

Hi Giuseppe

Le 13 déc. 2010 à 11:45, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I asked some question in forums, but before buying Destop ISV package, I would
> like to get a little more generic information.
>
> I will start a personal project for a customer, and I'm searching a new
> IDE/languaje to develop it. I like how to develop in LiveCode, but I have a
> little fear because is something totally unknow to me (I don't know it's
> limits, and advantages over other enviroments). I'm between LiveCode and
> RealStudio.
>
> The project, is a Bills/quotes management.
>
> Because "all" commercial projects I see developed in LiveCode, are "little"
> projects (no offence, I don't know how to express it in english correctly), I
> would like to know, if LiveCode is suitable for my type of project.

In fact, there are, at least, some dozens of important enterprise-grade solutions build on top of LiveCode+MySQL, LiveCode+PostgreSQL and LiveCode+Oracle at work all over the world. But, because, those solutions are RIA/Web/Web services systems used by middle to world class companies for internal needs (not available at all to the public internet), it's difficult to communicate about such project (strong NDA clauses are always bind to such business contracts). In between some other LC colleagues present on this list, i worked for years on such projects (LC+PostgreSQL under Linux, LC+Oracle 9i to 10g under Solaris) with great satisfaction and success, even before the availability of the LiveCode server.

If your question is : is it way to build in a clean and full reliable way a RIA/Web enterprise-grade solution (ERP-CRM class) in using :

LC RIA clients standalones
and/or Web 1.0, 2.0, HTML5/CSS3 browsable workfows

+

a server-sidde "n-tier" back-end where LiveCode server+ your.irev scripting will replace all the tasks you could implement in using PHP, Tomcat or JBoss

the response is definitively yes. About LC+PostgreSQL, i always prefer it over the LC+Oracle alternative each time the customer don't impose a Oracle preference. As you probably know, the PostgreSQL ACID compliance is in practice always lots more suitable than the Oracle's one... Don't hesitate to ask for more off-list if that can help.

Best Regards,

Pierre