Finding local minima and maxima of a graph

Bryan McCormick bryan at deepfoo.com
Sat Dec 4 12:56:05 EST 2010

I have a very large number of graphs to crunch through to find local
minima and maxima. The data is regularly spaced, which eliminated one
problem. I know too that the window value used has to be an adjustable
variable as peak and trough significance may need to be found for a wide
range of time periods within the data set.

I had thought of using a moving average to find a slope of zero and then
use an offset function to find the peak and trough in time.

I've used stackoverflow to have a look and apparently the problem is a
lot less trivial than I thought.

Any suggestions for fitting to a function, using the graphing functions
in rev, etc would be most welcome.