Part II of Re: On-Rev Web Form Dropping Data

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Dec 2 18:12:11 EST 2010

Hi Gregory. This will not do. Virtually every home router and many industrial ones use some form of NAT routing so you would be excluding all students who are behind such a router from interacting simultaneously with your web site. Rather, develop a method for uniquely identifying each connection using information that must be unique. Usually a user name and password will suffice.

Now if security is an issue, you may want to develop a third bit of information to challenge anyone logging in for the first time (because the cookie does not yet exist) like a couple of questions/answers that the user sets up when they first create the account. Obviously, do not store the questions and answers in the cookie!

Once you create the cookie, you don't need to ask again, so long as you find the cookie at login time. but suppose the user clears out his/her cookies? Well you need to challenge them again to make sure they really are who they say they are.

That should be good enough, and this will allow users to connect from virtually anywhere, like their iPad, laptop, computer at work etc. and still get their own account.

Bob