Compiling problems

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Dec 1 19:00:09 EST 2010

On 12/1/10 1:32 PM, DunbarX at aol.com wrote:
> They are part of the standalone. But it is just the opposite: substacks are
> not considered to be the executable, and can be modified and saved. This is
> the standard procedure, the splash screen as mainStack, and the substack(s)
> as working stacks.

The terminology's tricky. By convention, a "substack" is part of the
same stackfile as the main stack, it's sort of bolted on. When built
into a standalone, it can't be modified because it's the same file on
disk as the main stack. Substacks are appendages.

There's no official term for those working stacks that aren't attached
to the main stack. I call them "satellite" stacks, but that's just me.
But they're separate files on disk, still in stack form, and the
standalone opens them like they're documents (which they are) and they
can be modified and saved.

We need an official term for those separate stacks that ship with
standalones.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com