Inserting unicodeText into a unicode string? #2

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 08:49:29 EDT 2010

I don't think this applies when using get and set for unicode, but if
its a straight text field where you can use put, there are a couple
options.

YOu can do:

put "What I want inserted" into the selectedtext

This will insert at the insertion point if nothing is selected, or
will replace whatever is selected in the field.

Or, you can do

put "What I want inserted" after char (word 4 of the selectedchunk) of field 1

But if I recall correctly, this solution is a little more complicated
because you have check word 2 and word 4 of the selectedchunk to see
whats selected then determine programatically in that range where the
insertion should occur, or if the selection should be removed or...
If the selection is just an insertion point, then the example above
(word 4 of the selectedchunk) of field "yourfield" works fine.

Another option, if the text of the field is locked, is to check the
clickcharchunk which will return the number position of the clicked
char (same format as clickchunk or selectedchunk except both word2 and
word 4 will be the same) at which point you can decide to put
something before or after that char, or split the field at that spot.
To do the insertion directly with this method, your mouseup handler
could contain:
on mouseup
   put "your insertion string"  before char (word 2 of the clickcharchunk) of me
end mouseup