[OT] Dead Video and no keyboard

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sun Aug 22 04:29:13 EDT 2010

Most likely the graphics card did not get recognised. On a BIOS based PC, the order is some kind like this:

Power switch is pressed by user
Send power to BIOS
Send power to CPU
Send power to RAM
Send power to Graphics card
*Beep*
Enable minor subsystems like Hard disk, USB (keyboard!), serial, network, etc.
Start OS

Newer BIOS versions beep differently, depending on the error being based on power source, RAM or graphics card. But old ones just won't beep at all unless all the 6 included components (4 above + power suply + mainboard) all work flawlessly. So possibly the MAC BIOS-thingy (don't remember name) has the same no-beep behaviour.

I suggest checking:
is the card actually the one you ordered?
is the card you ordered really compatible with your mac?
is the card plugged in properly (try different slots)?
is the card getting power (dunnow how to check that)?
does the card work in another mac?

if you're unlucky, it's not the card that's broken, but some other part, like the Mainboard or CPU.