file owner & group names

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 01:07:47 EDT 2010

--- On Tue, 8/17/10, Andre Garzia <andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Jan
> Schenkel <janschenkel at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Monte et al,
> >
> > What I sent earlier is only a partial solution. At
> work I only had our
> > Solaris server to play with; but once I got home, I
> found things on MacOS X
> > to be more complicated.
> > See: <http://quartam.blogspot.com/2010/08/fun-with-detailed-files.html>
> >
> > Unfortunately we're not there yet for MacOS X 10.5
> Leopard or 10.6 Snow
> > Leopard. So does anyone have any bright ideas?
> >

> Why not use shell("stat <the file>") to acquire the
> information?

Hi Andre,

It looks like "stat" has the advantage over "ls -l" when it comes to displaying the complete user and group name - my user name is "janschenkel" which is cut down to 8 characters using "ls -l" so that's not a workable solution.

The reason to avoid a shell call to stat is simple: calling it for each individual file in a big folder could prove an expensive operation, while a simple mapping method should suffice to convert 501 to "janschenkel" when you're already using the detailed files.

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====