Cookies, Cookies - Got the Setting but Now the Getting

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 17 18:04:04 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

Yes, it's the pathetic cookie guy again.  Having finally learned how to set them, I was wondering if anyone might care to comment on whether my method for getting a user's cookie makes sense.  My understanding of

	get $_SERVER["HTTP_COOKIE"]

is that it will only get the most recent cookies if a new request has been made, and I'm guessing that that means a POST or GET action.  Say a user clicks a hyperlink named My Page, which is supposed to take them to a personal account page, populated with personal settings.  I figure that it is easiest to embed a POST form action in every page, even if there are no form objects on some pages, so that no matter what page a user is on or what hyperlink they click, their cookies can be retrieved by a script in the destination page, checked against a database, and the appropriate content shown.  Does that sound kind of in the ballpark?  It probably makes more sense to attach the POST action directly specific hyperlinks, such as My Page, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Regards,

Gregory