Conversion of large Hypercard Stack to Revolution

Paul Looney support at ahsomme.com
Sun Aug 15 11:16:35 EDT 2010

Richard,
We've done a lot of large HC to Rev conversions and have run into the
same problem.
1. Make sure the original HC stack has been compacted, several times
2. Strip all NULLs before import. These can get into the data if a
user has pasted text into the HC fields from Word or some other
programs. It appears that Rev removes all data between the NULLs.
3. Don't use Rev cards for a large number of records, it just won't
handle the information in this format as well as HC did. Move to a
database - or use a text file for the data.
4. Put in some wait states ("wait 0 seconds") in your import routine
to let the computer "catch up" and finish processing current
information before continuing.
5. Don't try to view the information in a Rev field. This will
truncate any information beyond approx 64,000 characters in a line.
If you view it in a field and then put the field back into the DB,
all of the truncated info will be lost.
Paul Looney