Conversion of large Hypercard Stack to Revolution

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Sun Aug 15 06:09:33 EDT 2010

Hi Richard,

According to the documentation, the number of cards in a Revolution stack is only limited by the amount of available memory. I can imagine that a stack with 119000 cards becomes rather big once converted to Revolution. Perhaps it indeed doesn't fit in memory. It is also possible that one card is corrupted, but usually this causes Revolution to fail importing the entire stack.

If you are using a very old version of HyperCard, it might help to convert it to HyperCard 2.3 or 2.4.1 before opening your stack in Revolution. Compacting your stack might also help.

A few years ago, I created a HyperCard utility, which allows for recovering corrupted stacks and seems to work very well. It can also cut your stack into smaller pieces. This utility is called Split & Recover. It is freeware and you can find it here http://qurl.tk/ey . You will need a machine with Mac OS 9 to run this utility.

There's another utility, called DIFfersifier, which extracts the data from your stack. It won't work with corrupted stacks and you might need to run Split & Recover before using DIFfersifier. DIFfersifier works on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. You can find this utility here <http://differsifier.economy-x-talk./com>.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com