the pendingClick

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 11 11:13:00 EDT 2010

Controls that take different behaviors based on whether a single- or
double-click has been received often limit the single-click behavior to
selection, but reserve any action for the double-click.

For example, you may have an Inspector that updates when an object is
single-clicked, but double-clicking the object may perform an action
like opening a dialog.  Or in the Mac Finder, single-clicking an icon
selects it, but double-clicking opens it.  Or a master-detail view in
which single-clicking an item in a list updates the detail display, and
double-clicking may trigger a default button in that layout.

Given the dexterity required to distinguish between single- and
double-clicks, and that some OSes let you alternately use single-clicks
for double-click actions which creates a very different set of user
habits, it may be simpler for the user to put those two different
actions in two different controls, or have some alternate means of
distinguishing the action to be taken in response to an interaction.

Of course, in all fairness I have no idea about the UI in which this is
proposed, so feel free to ignore what I've written.  But FWIW, offhand I
can't think of a control I've encountered in any app in which both
messages are used for actions, rather than the single-click being
limited to selection and updating.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World