Classic CGI on Win

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Aug 10 11:05:52 EDT 2010

Malte-

Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 1:03:48 AM, you wrote:

> Mark, you raised my curiosity. What exactly were the problems you
> encountered on IIS? Did it work at all? Or was it just complicated?

It's been some four years now since I did this, so my memory is a bit
hazy about it. I did write this up, but thanks to my brilliant
organizational skills I can't find the writeup at the moment. I do
remember having to change line endings on scripts, of course. I
remember having to convince the IIS security policy that rev scripts
were acceptable files to serve. I remember getting generic 500 errors
from the server rather than anything meaningful. I remember the Alamo.
It did work eventually. I'll see if I can dig up my writeup for you,
but my conclusion after having gone through the experience was that
Apache was a *much* better solution for serving cgi scripts than IIS.
And I doubt that anyone with any IIS experience will be surprised by
this.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net