How to set a empty registry setting on windows?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sat Aug 7 20:40:38 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com>wrote:

> Andre Garzia wrote:
>
>  For some stuff to work I need to set a subkey on the windows registry to
>> empty value, I need the key there with an empty value but setRegistry says
>> that if you set a subKey to empty it will delete the subKey. How to
>> proceed
>> then?
>>

> If memory serves you can set it to (in Rev) quote&quote, which gives you ""
> which is different from empty in the Win registry (but of course is
> synonymous with empty in Rev).
>
> It's been a long time since I needed to do that, so test it before trusting
> it of course.
>
> If that's not it let me know and I'll see if I can dig up what I was
> working on back then....

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. What I am trying to do is set a custom URL protocol as
described here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa767914%28VS.85%29.aspx

This needs a subkey "URL Protocol" set to windows empty string. Now, won't
quote & quote be interpreted as not empty by windows subsystems?

ARGH!!!! Why using empty keys, why not hardwiring for something more
sensible such as URL Protocol = "True".

Damn windows "design" ideas.