Rev/Linux update - for Richmond

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 6 11:13:02 EDT 2010

Andre Garzia wrote:

> Rev is approaching the point where I will simply complete my transition to
> linux and be happy... my ubuntu box is so much more responsive than my mac
> os x box, and both have similar specs.

Yep.  Forgive me for making a "me too" post, but me too. :)

I already use Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email, so with
Rev beefing up its Linux engine the three most common apps I use every
day are making life in Ubuntu a snap (and in Win7 of course, which I
keep on dual-boot on my Dell for testing).

And with all the goodies freely available in the Ubuntu Software Center
just one click away (for those who don't use Ubuntu, think App Store for
Linux), there's hardly anything I miss when I'm using my Dell these days.

I recently started using Rhythmbox for my music purchases too - lets me
support Canonical for the good work they've done giving me Ubuntu for
free, and I get my music in MP3 format ready for my non-Apple music
player that includes a radio and cost only $20 (after springing extra
for good headphones I still saved more than $50 on that, and I love
listening to NPR's business report on FM during the train ride home).

Andrew Kluthe's comments here last month about the relative costs of
different systems got me thinking, and inspired me to explore new
hardware options that I'd never considered before having been almost
exclusively Mac-centric.

I love my Apple gear, but I can't say I mind getting great performance
at ultra-low prices when I buy for "the other Unix-based OS" and
spending the difference on a nice weekend on Catalina Island. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World