E-mailing data file

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 4 10:06:40 EDT 2010

charles61 wrote:

> I created an app that generates a data file.  The files are saved on the
> user's hard drive.  I want to add an e-mail button that would allow the user
> to send the file by e-mail by selecting the file within the app to send to
> another person who is using my program.  How can I do that?

Many people would recommend using mailto.  Don't count on it.  Microsoft
has imposed a limit on the length of URLs used with that protocol; it's
short, and varies from release to release, making the use of mailto for
setting up emails on Windows unreliable unless you know your
email+attachment will be very short.

I would use a CGI on the server, and post the file to that, which could
then email it to you.  You can even compress the data using the built-in
compress function to make the transfer much sorter.

It's a bit more work to set up a CGI, but well worth it:  once you get
comfortable with CGIs a very large universe of possibilities opens up to
you.

The basics of getting started with the Rev CGI are here:
<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/>

If you get going and have any trouble working out the email part of it,
drop a note here and we'll sort it out for you.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World