[revServer] process timeout issue

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 3 13:12:34 EDT 2010

Andre Garzia wrote:

> oh that is *fast* :-O

Last year I had one of my fits of obsession about performance and began
experimenting with Dreamhost's FastCGI interface for the Rev CGI.  It
was complicated to set up, and for all the reasons you noted here at the
time it was very complicated to write for.

So instead I decided to set it aside and go back to the straight CGI
interface to see if I found any serious bottlenecks.  I found none, and
the clarity of writing for a non-persistent process kept everything
simple.  I added a reasonably simple token file+cookie scheme for
persistent data when needed, but for most uses I don't even need that,
and with or without that it's been quite speedy.

On the desktop the engine loads faster than most other apps, and on the
server - without needing to initialize the GUI -- it loads about as fast
as a server can pull its mere 2.5 MB executable up from the 7200 RPM disk.

I've not done much in the way of formal testing because I haven't yet
found a good means of accounting for sever/transfer latency as distinct
from the Rev process itself.  But the server-side testing I've done
shows the CGI engine running at speeds better than on my Mac (not
surprising; Dreamhost uses some good systems), and the subjective
experience of the overall throughput has been quite satisfying for
myself and my site's visitors.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World