[revServer] process timeout issue

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 3 10:27:58 EDT 2010

I've been thinking about this and I just can't wrap my head around it:

How can a single non-persistent child process like a CGI or RevServer
govern server-wide settings like aggregate multi-process memory and time
limits?

Such limits are common on shared servers like on-rev.com and easy to set
up in Apache configs, but I can't figure out how an ephemeral process
like RevServer could affect it, esp. given the suggestion that these
limits are somehow imposed across multiple instances.

To distinguish whether the source of this issue is simply normal
settings on on-rev.com or the RevServer engine itself, one would need
need to test on a dedicated server outside of the on-rev.com hosting setup.

What else was installed on the dedicated private server on which this
behavior was observed, and what would I need to install to see the same
behavior on my server PC here?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World